Design system – overview
What it is
This design system is a collection of guidelines, patterns, and development resources that work together to enable team members to create a cohesive user experience across all of our products.
Who it’s for
Both the design and development teams can use this design system to produce consistent, quality work, in less time. By providing our teams with a shared understanding, the system helps us design and develop new products and features more efficiently.
How to use it
- Make sure you understand the fundamentals by reading all the relevant material.
- The design system will develop and change over time, so make sure you keep up to date.
(See notes on versioning below.)
- If you find something is missing, incorrect, our in need of improvement, please report it to the product design lead.
Past and future versions
This design system has been developed over time, with each of our three products representing a different iteration of the system. This process has resulted in inconsistencies across the products. We are now working to standardize the design system across all three products, which will require a new round of development. To achieve this, we plan to identify and prioritize the common elements and styles across the three products, and develop a standardized approach to be used across all future products.
To keep track of these changes, we have decided to use a version numbering system that includes major, minor, and patch versions. Each version number represents the state of the design system at the time each product was developed, with 0.1.0 being the initial version used for Content Auditor, 0.2.0 for Search, and 0.3.0 for WebOps. Our current effort to standardize the design system will be labeled with version number 0.4.0 to signify a new phase of development. Once this version is mature enough for release, we will upgrade to version 1.0.0 to indicate a major release with significant changes from the previous versions.
- 0.1.0: Initial version used for Content Auditor
- 0.2.0: Version used for Search
- 0.3.0: Version used for WebOps
- 0.4.0: Current effort to improve standardize the design system
- 1.0.0: (FUTURE) Stable release of standardized design system